*Guest post by our talented friend @justaddhotsauce_*
Times are weird…
However, this whole Coronavirus of it all is really teaching us to be still and reconnect with not only ourselves but each other. So, while we are all quarantined at home, binge-watching Netflix & snacking our lives away this is also a GREAT time to get in the kitchen – leftovers for days!
I recently launched my IRL Cooking with Friends – Cooking Classes in February and the response was so amazing (still can’t believe it). Eat Loisa was so kind to provide gift bags for everyone of the amazing Adobo & Sazon spices and we also cooked with them.
I provided all the recipes below of what we made in class and they were gooooood! I’m half Puerto Rican so I grew up eating Arroz con Pollo that my Mom always made. She always used cubed chicken thighs because they are forgiving when cooking chicken in stews – FYI, chicken breasts can get super hard.
I also switched up the traditional black beans recipe with sweet chipotle black beans and they were a HIT! I’m actually dreaming about them right now.
Be sure to follow me on IG and look out for updates on more cooking classes, coming soon!! Keep scrolling for those recipes...
~ ARROZ CON POLLO – makes 4 servings ~
- ½ lb chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces (pre seasoned with salt)
- 1 cup sofrito, roughly (recipe below)
- 1 cup white rice
- 1-2 tablespoon Loisa Sazon seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoon Loisa Adobo seasoning
- 1-2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Over medium heat, cover pot with one tablespoon or so with olive oil
- Sauté the sofrito for 3-5 minutes until onions are translucent (season with salt & pepper)
- Add chicken
- Season with adobo, sazon, onion & garlic powder
- Add in bay leaves
- Add 1 cup of rice, combine everything together
- Add 1 cup of water
- Add 1 cup of chicken stock
- Taste the stock and see if it needs more salt or pepper
- Bring to a boil, once boiled bring down to low heat and cover
- Let cook until rice is tender, about 25 minutes
~ SWEET CHIPOTLE BLACK BEANS – makes 4 servings ~
- 1 can 15oz, Black Beans
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon, honey
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer on low heat
- Season with salt & pepper to your liking
~ GARLIC MOJO (served with tostones) ~
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a mortar & pestle while smashing the garlic more
ENJOY ENJOY! And besides posting with #feedingtradition and tagging @eatloisa, let us know how your dishes turn out in the comment section!
I made the arroz con pollo this weekend and it came out pretty good! I love the flavor and how simple the recipe was. Thank you for sharing!