Welcome to Holidays with Loisa! This season we plan to bring you some classics, some twists on the classics, as well as some easy new ways to enjoy Latin flavor besides the big meals. We know the holidays look a little different this year, and many of us (ourselves included) will be taking on more dishes than normal. That in mind, we've gathered an inspiring group of chefs and creators to help you thrive during this unique time with a full season's worth of recipes & insight.
This sweet and savory feature is from Chef Daniel De La Rosa (@chefdaniel.delarosa.407)
One thing that 2020 has shown us is to value what we have and make every moment count…. so, let's go and enjoy making the best of it and make some vegan carrots while at it!!!
About the food:
Can anyone else recall their mom boiling carrots and adding a ton of butter to make them “taste good”?? This, my friend, was our Thanksgiving's “healthy” side dish.
So, I’ve decided to take those same carrots we made for years during the holidays and elevate them with some amazing Loisa Sazón and, of course, a little love. Bye, bye boring sides! Hello flavor-town! Let me introduce you to these delicious, roasted, locally grown baby tri-colored carrots, tossed in jalapeño honey vegan butter with toasted pepita seeds and pickled cranberries.
When I first introduced my Mother to this tasty and healthy twist on the boiled carrots we grew up with, it made her proud. I hope it brings you the same joy I had by making them, while still being true to thanksgiving, with a heathy dish from my family to yours.
~ ROASTED TRI-COLORED BABY CARROTS ~
Vegan Jalapeño Honey Butter Ingredients:
**Can be made ahead of time and necessary amount held at room temperature for roasted carrots**
- 5 oz orange blossom honey (or agave/maple syrup)
- 1 large, sliced jalapeno pepper (seeds removed)
- 3 oz plant base vegan room temp butter
Picked Cranberry Ingredients:
**Prepare ahead of time**
- 4 oz dried cranberries
- 2 oz cranberry juice
- 2 oz red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Toasted Pepita Seeds Ingredients:**Prepare ahead of time**
- 4 oz organic pepita seeds (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Loisa Sazón spice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Roasted Carrots Ingredients:
- 1lbs baby rainbow locally grown carrots (if locally not available carrots then large carrots will work)
- 1 Teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Loisa Sazón
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Vegan Jalapeño Honey Butter Instructions:
- In a small saucepan combine honey and sliced jalapeno and begin to heat up on medium high, simmer honey for 4 mins and then begin to whisk in room temp vegan butter. When butter is fully incorporated set aside and reserve warm for roasted carrots.
Note: Jalapeno honey butter can be stored in a tight sealed container for up to 3 weeks refrigerated
Pickled Cranberries Instructions:
- In a medium saucepan add cranberries, juice, vinegar, and salt.
- Bring up to a simmer on medium heat
- When simmering, turn off heat and set aside to cool to room temp
- When cooled reserve until ready to use.
Note: pickled cranberries can be stored for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator and would be great to use in salads, guacamole just to name a few :).
Toasted Pepita Seeds Instructions:
- In a large sauté pan add pumpkin seeds and place heat to med high. When hot, toss gently until golden brown. It should take about 10 mins.
- When pumpkin seeds are toasted, cool and set aside.
- When cooled using a chef knife rough chop pumpkin seeds and place in a bowl and toss with oil olive and Loisa Sazón until fully incorporated
- Reserve and set aside until ready to use. Can be stored for up to 2 weeks in a dry cool place.
Roasted Carrots Instructions:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and peel the carrots, when peeled, cut carrot lengthwise in half and place in a large bowl or baking sheet pan. Add chopped thyme, Loisa Sazón, pepper and olive oil and gently toss together.
- When tossed and ready place carrots on a baking sheet pan and spread out evenly.
- Place carrots in the oven for 30 to 45 mins until golden brown and cooked through.
- When carrots are ready place carrots back in a bowl and add 4oz of prepared honey butter and toss together until nicely coated
- Place in a large serving platter and sprinkle over 4oz of pickled cranberries and toasted pepita seeds.
Note: this dish can be served at room temp and made into a nice fall/ winter heathy salad by just adding some mixed greens and gently tossed together and adjusted seasoning as necessary :).
A little bit about Chef Daniel De La Rosa
Born and raised in the tri-state area I was inspired at an early age by my grandmother's cooking. My abuela taught me that food is meant to bring people together. She would often reinforce the values to love and respect my food and I genuinely enjoyed all our Dominican family traditions centered around a great meal.
A majority of my inspiration are based on healthy lifestyle trends and Spanish influences with a twist of modern American.... keeping food simple, fresh with healthy mindset but still focus on the main ingredients is my everyday approach.
Throughout my years of experience, the simple joy of bringing people together though a shared wonderful experience is for me the true pleasure of being a chef.
You can catch always working on some creative ideas on Instagram at
Check out Chef Daniel's other Loisa recipes below: