Arroz con Gandules by @PlantbasedRD
Catherine's take on this all-time classic rice dish will make your taste buds and your neighborhood buds both very happy.
This fantastically delicious recipe by Catherine Perez (@PlantBasedRD) was loved by so many on Instagram, we of course had to share it here.
Arroz con Gandules is the most classic of rice dishes. Everyone has their tricks, secrets, and pinches that make it end up just right, their way. Catherine was so gracious to pass hers along to all of us.
~ ARROZ CON GANDULES ~
- 1 1/4 cup jasmine rice
- 1 15 oz can gandules, drained
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Loisa Adobo
- 1 tsp Loisa Sazón
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp caper, minced (or 1/4 cup chopped olives)
- 2 1/2 cups water + 1/4 cup water reserved for cooking
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse rice well to remove dirt/impurities from the rice.
- Add rice to a medium sized non-stick pot and add tomato paste, beans, seasonings and capers.
- Allow mixture to come to a boil then reduce to a soft boil. Stir mixture well, taste and adjust seasonings based on preference.
- Allow rice to absorb some of the water, occasionally stirring gently to prevent rice from becoming gummy, 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, add in reserved water, move rice towards the center away from the edges of the pot and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 20 minutes and then stir by folding rice from the bottom up gently.
- Cook covered on low for another 20 minutes.
- Check between to see if rice is fully cooked and tender. Serve when ready.